May 18, 2024, 07:06:44 AMLatest Member: voldmort
BoutCheetah » Forum » Other » Off Topic » physics question

physics question

Started by NeoKiller, June 05, 2013, 05:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoKiller

Why do you need a metal anode in order to create x-rays?
What if you take nonmetal stuff like hydrogen?

Iridion

because electrons needs to be conducted from the cathode to the anode (- to +) and nonmetals cannot conduct electrons
its like asking why you cant use "hydrogen wires" to power up an electrical device

Quote from: Madproxyes because Iri & Kp can change the rules!
thats how we roll maddie

NeoKiller

kinda thought of the same but wasnt sure, ty baby :-*

Epic xD

June 06, 2013, 12:16:17 PM #3 Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:31:47 PM by Epic xD
The answer to your question has to deal with how electronegative hydrogen is. Even though hydrogen has 1 valence electron like the alkali metals, hydrogen is a small atom and does not experience a shielding effect. Also, since that 1 electron is really close, it is harder for hydrogen to lose that electron than it is for alkali (and all other) metals. To prove my point, hydrogen has an electronegativity value of 2.1. The highest electronegativity value a metal has is 2.0 (gold). The lower the electronegativity value is, the more readily and easily an element will give up its electron(s). For something to become oxidized, it must be able to readily give up electrons. Finally, it's really unrealistic to use solid hydrogen in a cell. You need to achieve a temperature of 14.01 K in order to make hydrogen a solid. Since you need an ionized liquid with a salt in it (metal on the cathode + something else), it would be impossible at 14.01 K assuming standard temperature pressure.

tl;dr
-hydrogen has a greater pull on its electrons because there is less distance between the nucleus and the electron
-only 1 electron, therefore there is no shielding effect (which big elements have)
-results in a higher electronegativity than all metals
-too difficult with temperatures, cell probably wouldn't even work correctly

Quote from: KillerPig on June 24, 2011, 07:49:43 AM
I've been debating with myself about this for a long time now. No, I'm not leaving BC, but when I get back, I'll be asking the girl I've liked for a long time to go out with me. Wish me luck. Zomg I'm so excited.

Iridion

Quote from: Epic xD on June 06, 2013, 12:16:17 PM
The answer to your question has to deal with how electronegative hydrogen is. Even though hydrogen has 1 valence electron like the alkali metals, hydrogen is a small atom and does not experience a shielding effect. Also, since that 1 electron is really close, it is harder for hydrogen to lose that electron than it is for alkali (and all other) metals. To prove my point, hydrogen has an electronegativity value of 2.1. The highest electronegativity value a metal has is 2.0 (gold). The lower the electronegativity value is, the more readily and easily an element will give up its electron(s). For something to become oxidized, it must be able to readily give up electrons. Finally, it's really unrealistic to use solid hydrogen in a cell. You need to achieve a temperature of 14.01 K in order to make hydrogen a solid. Since you need an ionized liquid with a salt in it (metal on the cathode + something else), it would be impossible at 14.01 K assuming standard temperature pressure.

tl;dr
-hydrogen has a greater pull on its electrons because there is less distance between the nucleus and the electron
-only 1 electron, therefore there is no shielding effect (which big elements have)
-results in a higher electronegativity than all metals
-too difficult with temperatures, cell probably wouldn't even work correctly

real tl;dr hydrogen cant conduct electronsss D:

Quote from: Madproxyes because Iri & Kp can change the rules!
thats how we roll maddie

NeoKiller

had my examalready but thanks nonetheless :-*

Copyright © ZylonGaming 2009 - 2024
-Terms of Use-