May 06, 2024, 09:10:34 PMLatest Member: Pleryhalax
BoutCheetah » Forum » Other » Off Topic » Laptop Help

Laptop Help

Started by Pokeh, December 29, 2013, 05:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pokeh

So basically when I turn on my laptop, there's a blank screen with a blinking underscore exactly like the one you would find upon opening Command Prompt. It's supposed to blink for a few seconds and lead to the windows startup screen (win 7), but it's stuck there and doesn't allow me to change boot options to safe mode, or anything for that matter. The underscore just keeps blinking.

Anyone know how I can possibly fix this?

opuiq3

Cant help you but... Has anyone noticed that the C: looks like a smiley face?

^yw allie

Iridion

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/171529-can-t-get-into-windows-black-screen-blinking-cursor.html

one of the many discussion you can find with google
protip: try to look for different solutions and start with the most common one

Quote from: Madproxyes because Iri & Kp can change the rules!
thats how we roll maddie

Pokeh

Quote from: Iridion on December 29, 2013, 05:50:24 PM
http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/171529-can-t-get-into-windows-black-screen-blinking-cursor.html

Was just on that page. I had sent my laptop to someone my dad knew and he said Windows System files were corrupt and we would have to delete everything. Seeing as how virtually everything I have is saved on the laptop I said nty and i'm getting it back today. Going through google gave me some reassurance that he might be wrong and I might at least be able to backup my data before resetting it.
I'll give this a shot when I get it back.
Thx Iri.

Rebuck

use you're reset disk u got with you're computer and use it it will reset everything or download any reset tool

Iridion

Quote from: Pokeh on December 29, 2013, 05:54:31 PM
Quote from: Iridion on December 29, 2013, 05:50:24 PM

Was just on that page. I had sent my laptop to someone my dad knew and he said Windows System files were corrupt and we would have to delete everything. Seeing as how virtually everything I have is saved on the laptop I said nty and i'm getting it back today. Going through google gave me some reassurance that he might be wrong and I might at least be able to backup my data before resetting it.
I'll give this a shot when I get it back.
Thx Iri.
about recovering data, you can always try to get a sata/usb cable and plug your hdd into a working comp, if the hdd is not damaged (and it shouldnt be)

thats how we roll maddie

Allie

You can always backup your data before resetting.
If I got a laptop like this I would re-install the OS, but that doesn't mean I'd erase all previous data. You can do both at the same time.

If it was required to backup, I'd suggest removing the laptop hdd and plugging it in to a device that allows you to retrieve data off it. You can get one here, or find your own.

Iridion

Quote from: Allie on December 29, 2013, 06:00:09 PM
You can always backup your data before resetting.
If I got a laptop like this I would re-install the OS, but that doesn't mean I'd erase all previous data. You can do both at the same time.

If it was required to backup, I'd suggest removing the laptop hdd and plugging it in to a device that allows you to retrieve data off it. You can get one here, or find your own.

doesnt just plugging into another pc works :'(

thats how we roll maddie

Allie

Quote from: Iridion on December 29, 2013, 06:02:29 PM
doesnt just plugging into another pc works :'(

perhaps. ive never seen a wire that plugs laptop hdds into a desktop without using a dock though.
i could be wrong. i speak only from personal experience.

Iridion

yeah with a sata to usb cable you can plug and internal hdd externally and recover your data

thats how we roll maddie

Pokeh

k so for last resort i'll have to physically take out the drive and extract the data.

til then; i'm following these steps and trying to recover it: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219533-troubleshooting-windows-7-failure-boot.html

Currently on step 3, as Safe Mode isn't working. Been scanning for the past 3 hours..

Pokeh

So I had a few minor viruses and it still doesn't seem to boot. I then tried inserting the Windows 7 disc and restored to a recent savepoint. Still isn't working and is still blank on restart.

Anyone know what's wrong with it, or how to approach it? (Keep in mind extracting data out of the physical drive would be the last resort.)

Thanksssssssss

Allie

if you have windows 7 disk, that's good. you can probably fix this.
run the recovery tools and go to cmd. run the command chkdsk (drive) /r
drive is usually C:

Pokeh

"Windows has checked the file system and found no problems"

"Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50."

Allie

if chkdsk don't work, i doubt you'll be able to fix it with any other methods.
re-install without removing old user data (an option in re-install settings) and the laptop can be wiped while keeping your stuffs.

Copyright © ZylonGaming 2009 - 2024
-Terms of Use-