May 11, 2024, 12:58:27 PMLatest Member: pichulon
BoutCheetah » Forum » Other » Off Topic » Puzzle

Puzzle

Started by Xrow, March 16, 2011, 04:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xrow

March 16, 2011, 04:20:01 AM Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:21:46 AM by Xrow
If you look it up, please don't post the answer. Thank you.

Three gods A, B, and C are called, in no particular order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one god. The gods understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language, in which the words for yes and no are 'da' and 'ja', in some order. You do not know which word means which."

The following clarifications are provided:[1]

"It could be that some god gets asked more than one question (and hence that some god is not asked any question at all).
What the second question is, and to which god it is put, may depend on the answer to the first question. (And of course similarly for the third question.)
Whether Random speaks truly or not should be thought of as depending on the flip of a coin hidden in his brain: if the coin comes down heads, he speaks truly; if tails, falsely.
Random will answer 'da' or 'ja' when asked any yes-no question.[1]"

Good luck :)

bangaer2

March 16, 2011, 06:33:01 AM #1 Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:10:34 AM by bangaer2
lol if u ask the false one this question, he will answer falsely.

1. A, do you speak truely or falsely?
2. B, do you speak truely?
3. C, do you speak falsely?

I guessed

EDIT: Solve this!

A man was found dead in his study. He was slumped over his desk and a gun was in his hand. There was a cassette recorder on his desk. When the police entered the room and pressed the play button on the tape recorder they heard: "I can't go on. I have nothing to live for." Then there was the sound of a gunshot. How did the detective immediately know that the man had been murdered and it wasn't a suicide?
Quote from: bangaer2
Quote from: Rossbach
Ross' poem:

Ross.
At least you tried...

Jeffalo13

Quote from: bangaer2 on March 16, 2011, 06:33:01 AM

I guessed

A man was found dead in his study. He was slumped over his desk and a gun was in his hand. There was a cassette recorder on his desk. When the police entered the room and pressed the play button on the tape recorder they heard: "I can't go on. I have nothing to live for." Then there was the sound of a gunshot. How did the detective immediately know that the man had been murdered and it wasn't a suicide?

I'm thinking the police officer would have had to have rewound it?  Unless that's assumed...
  I'M ON MY WORST BEHAVIOR

Iridion

I guessed

if the police entered and pressed the play button means that the registration was stopped.
if the man suicided, he could not stop the registration.
the man who killed him shot and stopped the registration.

Quote from: Madproxyes because Iri & Kp can change the rules!
thats how we roll maddie

bangaer2

Quote from: Iridion on March 16, 2011, 03:16:03 PM

I guessed

if the police entered and pressed the play button means that the registration was stopped.
if the man suicided, he could not stop the registration.
the man who killed him shot and stopped the registration.
Correct :)
Quote from: bangaer2
Quote from: Rossbach
Ross' poem:

Ross.
At least you tried...

Xrow

Iridion

only opti likes your puzzle!

Quote from: Madproxyes because Iri & Kp can change the rules!
thats how we roll maddie

Allie

A, is the answer to this question no?
I ask this question because if an answer is given, than A is the random god.
Inferring no answer is given, this means A is either the truth or lie god.

A, are you going to sing the answer to this question?
I ask this question because the answer is definite: if A sings da or ja, then da or ja is yes. If they do not sing da or ja, then the opposite of what they say is yes.
Inferring A says ja without singing, this means A is the liar, and ja means no.

So what we've got so far is that A is the liar, and either B or C is the truth, the other the random.

B, is the answer to this question no?
I ask this question because if an answer is given, than B is the random god.
If B says any answer, whether it's yes or no, B is the random god.
Else, B is the truth god.
Inferring B says da or ja, B is the random god.

Because A is the lying god, and B is the random god, C is the truth god.

Faith

March 17, 2011, 08:49:45 PM #8 Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:18:30 PM by Faith
1. A, If I asked you 'Are you random?' in your current mental state, would you say 'ja'? - Assuming he says 'da', it would mean he is not the Random god, also assuming 'ja' is yes and 'da' is no.
2. A, If I asked you 'Are you true', would you say 'ja'? - If A says 'ja' than A is the True god, if A says 'da' than A is the false god. Which would also mean that C is False, or if the answer is 'da' than C is the True god.
Solution: It really depends what, and how you ask them questions. And also on what 'ja' and 'da' mean, but lets say that 'ja' means no and 'da' means yes, then the answer would be the opposite of what the other solution is. I do have to commend you though, for giving a puzzle that can have multiple outcomes, without ever giving that fact away.

Edit: Question to solve the 'ja' and 'da' meanings....... Does 'da' mean yes if and only if you are True if and only if B is Random?

Allie

Quote from: Xrow on March 16, 2011, 04:20:01 AM
If you look it up, please don't post the answer. Thank you.

Three gods A, B, and C are called, in no particular order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one god. The gods understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language, in which the words for yes and no are 'da' and 'ja', in some order. You do not know which word means which."

The following clarifications are provided:[1]

"It could be that some god gets asked more than one question (and hence that some god is not asked any question at all).
What the second question is, and to which god it is put, may depend on the answer to the first question. (And of course similarly for the third question.)
Whether Random speaks truly or not should be thought of as depending on the flip of a coin hidden in his brain: if the coin comes down heads, he speaks truly; if tails, falsely.
Random will answer 'da' or 'ja' when asked any yes-no question.[1]"

Good luck :)

Xrow

Just refer to them as true, false or random >_> Your making it confusing.

Personally, I would ask true and false this:  "If I were to ask you, 'Is my name David,' would you say 'ja?' "

Allie

Quote from: Xrow on March 17, 2011, 08:56:41 PM

Personally, I would ask true and false this:  "If I were to ask you, 'Is my name David,' would you say 'ja?' "

Ask A "If I were to ask you, 'Is my name David,' would you say 'ja?' "
You ask this because if A was ja, and it means yes, it's either true or random, if it's da, either false or random.
However, what if ja means no? Then it's either false or random.

Ask B the same question, "If I were to ask you, 'Is my name David,' would you say 'ja?' "
If B replies with 'ja', then you know one of the two are random and one of them are true or false, this is because the only way the two gods can answer the same is if one's saying a random one.
If they said different answers, however, you have no idea of proving whether one was the random or not, therefore you've gotten nowhere.

Xrow

Quote from: Allie on March 17, 2011, 09:07:07 PM

You ask this because if A was ja, and it means yes, it's either true or random, if it's da, either false or random.
Nope, I ask it because I know its true that my name is David. UPDATE: "If I were to ask you, 'Is my name David?,' would you agree by saying 'ja?' " There :3

Or even better, I would ask "If I were to ask you, 'Does ja mean yes?,' would you say 'ja?' " BOOM

Ask B the same question, "If I were to ask you, 'Is my name David,' would you say 'ja?' "
If B replies with 'ja', then you know one of the two are random and one of them are true or false, this is because the only way the two gods can answer the same is if one's saying a random one.
If they said different answers, however, you have no idea of proving whether one was the random or not, therefore you've gotten nowhere.

Allie

Quote from: Xrow on March 17, 2011, 09:29:30 PM
Quote from: Allie on March 17, 2011, 09:07:07 PM

Nope, I ask it because I know its true that my name is David. UPDATE: "If I were to ask you, 'Is my name David?,' would you agree by saying 'ja?' " There :3

Or even better, I would ask "If I were to ask you, 'Does ja mean yes?,' would you say 'ja?' " BOOM

That brings an interesting question.

"If ja means yes in your language, is the answer to this question yes?"
If the reply is ja, said god is either true or random, else it is either false or random.

Faith

How fail..... You all fail to realize that you won't know who you're talking to on the first question. Therefore if you actually find out who the true god is, ask them the question on the 3rd question and you'll have the answer....

I'm done with this puzzle as people are to arrogant to see this puzzle the way it is.

There is truth and then there is the perception of it.

Copyright © ZylonGaming 2009 - 2024
-Terms of Use-