May 18, 2024, 08:58:43 AMLatest Member: voldmort
BoutCheetah » Forum » Other » Off Topic » Does time move?

Does time move?

Started by Communist, May 28, 2014, 01:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Communist

Think about it. What is used to measure the movement of time? Time itself? I think that time is preoccupied.

If you don't use time, what then? What would really qualify to measure the movement of time?

JustRK

Time like any other logical explanation is purely man made sure.

But my answer to your question is that time is an extension of the theory of relativity. All you really need to understand is velocity and gravitational time dilation to make a reference point / grasp of how we even formulated such a precise measurement.

TL;DR it's all relativity and just as an analog clock moves from point A to B (ie 7:15 to 7:20 let's say) you will always be able to reference another constantly moving object such as the earth or w/e to another such as it's orbit around the sun. I'm not gonna go in to finesse of things though because it will just confuse a lot of people and I doubt more than a few would even understand it.

JustRK

Quote from: nanak tatum on May 28, 2014, 02:19:38 AM
Quote from: JustRK on May 28, 2014, 02:15:52 AM
Time like any other logical explanation is purely man made sure.

But my answer to your question is that time is an extension of the theory of relativity. All you really need to understand is velocity and gravitational time dilation to make a reference point / grasp of how we even formulated such a precise measurement.

TL;DR it's all relativity and just as an analog clock moves from point A to B (ie 7:15 to 7:20 let's say) you will always be able to reference another constantly moving object such as the earth or w/e to another such as it's orbit around the sun. I'm not gonna go in to finesse of things though because it will just confuse a lot of people and I doubt more than a few would even understand it.

the TLDR is longer than the actual thing lol.

time is crime so dont be grime if you cant do the time!

I threw in the TL;DR for comic relief because I didn't explain what I said before that regarding gravitational time dilation, etc

in short, should one understand how that works then time does not in fact measure itself and time will always be measured through relativity. Universal Time (UTC) is determined from earths constant rotation and this is how we can split time zones and sync digital clocks  ;D  the more you know haha.

medchiller

If i'm understanding what RK is saying (Its worded a bit weird so iunno) then he's saying that time is something that we thought of and is based off what we believe the actual measurement is but technically it's not 100% correct. If you ever take a physics course you will learn of something called time dilation, this means as you get closer and closer to the speed of light the amount of change in the relative time changes exponentially. Since the earth is moving in an orbit around the sun and rotates on its axis it can't really be a perfect measure of 0 time dilation. To make something 100% perfect it would have to have 0 velocity which is impossible except in the case of reference frames which is why we can use the earth as a proper measure because all measurements are made on the earth about the earth (ofc without going into relativity).

Sorry for the rant and wall of text, just something interesting to think about.

Rossbach

May 28, 2014, 03:01:09 AM #4 Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:09:55 AM by Rossbach
This is stupid. Time on it's own is irrelevant, sorta. Time does not measure itself, we measure time. We decide how long a second, minute, etc is based upon our perception.

Omnomnom eating toast.

Rossbach

Quote from: nanak tatum on May 28, 2014, 03:04:30 AM
Quote from: Rossbach on May 28, 2014, 03:01:09 AM
This is stupid. Time on it's own is irrelevant, sorta. Time does not measure it's self, we measure time. We decide how long a second, minute, etc is based upon our perception.

God measures time...

Did you have to start this? Leave now.

Omnomnom eating toast.

Yz

Quote from: nanak tatum on May 28, 2014, 03:04:30 AM
This is stupid. Time on it's own is irrelevant, sorta. Time does not measure it's self, we measure time. We decide how long a second, minute, etc is based upon our perception.

God measures time...

haha good joke
DISCORD killyzkill

medchiller

This is stupid. Time on it's own is irrelevant, sorta. Time does not measure it's self, we measure time. We decide how long a second, minute, ect is, based upon our perception.
Indeed, I was gunna edit my post and say this but decided not to because I didn't really know how to word it.

If you say that there are 60 minutes in an hour and there are 60 seconds in a minutes and that would continue on and on. We defined a second by a fraction of a day (which by the way has changed as we have learned more and more) but them we get into the measurement of a day which is how long it takes for 1 full rotation of the earth (which is not actually 24 hours, 24 hours is just something approximated to simplicity this is what causes us to have leap years)  but that is defined by a unit of time. So as Ross said, time is defined by man. Then again so are most things. ::)

JustRK

@med this is why in my first explanation I said someone would have to understand gravitational time dilation in regards to special relativity

what you explained would dive into accelerated & inertial reference frames. You might have learned about Ephemeris time and that is where we addressed the concern of the limitation of humans trying to calculate relativity of the earths orbit around the sun.

now we have the caesium standard through electronic oscillation and although we can never be completely 100% accurate, a mere nanoseconds is a lot better than what we first generated  ;D

Yz

Quote from: kulvinder on May 28, 2014, 04:20:04 AM
Our whole life is like a play and God is the playwritter.
The least we can do is be entertaining.
@Topic Time is only measured by us because we are humans.No one knows how the universe came to being.
We all could be in the matrix right now.

god's not real don't bring it into this not like im interested in this debate in particular
DISCORD killyzkill

Iridion

*REAL* tl;dr you measure time with the amount of sand going trough a hole

otherwise you use a ****ing clock and stop trying to act smart. cheers ;D

Quote from: Madproxyes because Iri & Kp can change the rules!
thats how we roll maddie

Bombz

Short and 100% accurate answer is god. Whether people believe it or not...

JustRK

Quote from: Bombz on May 28, 2014, 12:19:17 PM
Short and 100% accurate answer is god. Whether people believe it or not...

inb4 a religious debate takes place.  Honestly though for everyone saying "god = time" in relation to the topic.  Observational science has proven that the earth is older than the bible (or w/e religious script) says it is.

Both time and the presence of god are man made projections and honestly almost everything projected by ancient scripts has been pretty much wrong. If I wrote in a blank book right now that there will be a great earth quake a hundred years from now; when the tectonic plates eventually collide and I'm correct, does that mean I'm a god ?

FalseProphet

lol "Bible"

Coming from people who believe in talking bushes that magically light themselves on fire, a pregnant virgin and a man who rises from the dead.

Yet if you say anything about any of these things happening now days you'd be labelled as crazy/stupid not some son of an almighty powerful super-being who controls all.
"Time Heals Almost Everything, Give The Time, Some Time"
IGN: LordBubba / Bubbabear ^^ / FalseProphet

Quote"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

Rossbach

Quote from: kulvinder on May 28, 2014, 05:20:14 PM
Quote from: Yz on May 28, 2014, 04:31:43 AM
Quote from: kulvinder on May 28, 2014, 04:20:04 AM
Our whole life is like a play and God is the playwritter.
The least we can do is be entertaining.
@Topic Time is only measured by us because we are humans.No one knows how the universe came to being.
We all could be in the matrix right now.
[/quote

god's not real don't bring it into this not like im interested in this debate in particular
]Its okay ,its your choice if you don't beleive in God but you cant stop me from believing in the things I want to believe so don't reply to my post,if you don't like it,say whatever you feel like.

"so don't reply to my post"

"say whatever you feel like."

Alright.  ::)

Omnomnom eating toast.

Copyright © ZylonGaming 2009 - 2024
-Terms of Use-