"Off Topic"

Started by KillerPig, August 22, 2013, 01:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KillerPig

In this post, I will be addressing this rule:
http://boutcheetah.zylongaming.com/index.php?topic=32185.0
and this thread:
http://boutcheetah.zylongaming.com/index.php?topic=44640.0

In the thread I previously mentioned, the thread starter ended his RaRB report with this statement:
Quote from: qolderman on August 21, 2013, 06:39:35 PM
pls help me, IP ban them
i know thats not enough proof:(((((((
but if i dont get member or 35m gigas i quit
to which Purple responded with:
Quote from: Purple on August 21, 2013, 06:42:50 PM
If you're gonna quit over 35m gigas after trying to buy membership from non-verified users, then go quit. I honestly don't think anyone will care.

Purple was warned (by I'm guessing Selene because nobody else cares about this) and the rule I previously mentioned was cited.

However, because the poster (asmit) responded to extra pieces of information that thread starter (qolder) put into his original post, the poster is not going off topic.

So Purple, as well as szabolcs and nemano9988, should be unwarned because they were actually on topic.

If you still don't get it, read on.
Off-topic means straying from the subject matter at hand.
The subject matters at hand were: getting scammed by ufonautas and Marciukas when buying membership, buying membership, requesting an IP ban, wondering if there's enough proof, and quitting if not refunded.
Which means anyone who posted anything related to the "subject at hand" should not be warned.

examples of posts that aren't off topic:
"you can quit nobody cares"
"we have a verified list of sellers use that next time"
"dont trust the wrong people because you wont get ur stuff back"
"he wont get ip banned but he will get his account banned"
"i also got scammed by ufonautas and Marciukas! some1 do something!"

examples of posts that are off topic:
"ur gay"
"wtf is wrong with u how stupid can you be"
"wait what is the report a rulebreaker section for"
"i got scammed by another guy named misterz"
"wait i didnt know we can report people"

IGN: KillerPig (H) | NinjaPig (H) | ShadowPig (H) | KillerPig (L)
LVL: 225 | 225 | 225 | 44
GUILD: ZeaL | CourageCrew | Lil Optis | -

Cooky

August 22, 2013, 01:38:27 AM #1 Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:41:19 AM by Cooky
doesn't matter if on topic or not, it didn't contribute anything to the rulebreaker report. didn't help anyone. is against the rules of the rulebreaker section rules which state that the only ones who should be posting are staff or those who may help with the problem.

if you have no proof or details about the report and your just throwing your opinions around, its considered against the rules

it is kind of silly how its called 'off topic' but that's just what its always been called. theres no question those people clearly broke the rules, the only thing worth debating here is what to call people who violate the report a rulebreaker section rules, because 'off topic' can create confusion (as evidenced by this topic).

Materger

August 22, 2013, 01:43:17 AM #2 Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:46:26 AM by Materger
I see what you mean Pig, but I'm sure we warn people who aren't providing help as well. Like if someone says "Oh idc that you're going to quit go ahead" its not off topic but it's also not helping the problem.The main concern is the report and if a player wants to give advice or any sort of helpful tips to avoid being scammed they could PM the player.  In my opinion as long as you don't go overboard dumb mode it isn't so much of a problem. I remember before when people would get really , really, really!!!! off-topic or spam. It's not as bad now a days.

squirtle! squirtle! 

-EGK-

KillerPig

If that's the case, report a rule breaker threads should only allow staff members to post on it.

The ONLY other way that a poster will not be considered "off topic" is if they post more screenshots of the offender, which would be unnecessary if sufficient evidence was provided.

Cooky

August 22, 2013, 01:56:42 AM #4 Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:02:48 AM by Cooky
Quote from: KillerPig on August 22, 2013, 01:45:46 AM
If that's the case, report a rule breaker threads should only allow staff members to post on it.

I agree with this, I think it should have always been that way. If people have more proof they can PM it to a staff member. In every online game I play that has a forum.. the rulebreakers section is staff reply only. You would think the fact that practically no one who posts on rulebreaker reports ever really helps with the report and people are constantly getting warned/moderated over it would be enough for them to decide to make it staff only but I guess not. Maybe they cant or they don't know how?

The ONLY other way that a poster will not be considered "off topic" is if they post more screenshots of the offender, which would be unnecessary if sufficient evidence was provided.

No that's not exactly true. People post all the time to help but don't give any proof and get away with it somehow. I think staff should be a lot more consistent with it. Like the other day I think it was Oreos who posted saying some little piece of advice about how to avoid getting scammed and then said something to the effect of like 'staff will take care of it' and he didn't get any warning. But on the thread you linked us to in your post Pig, you can see szabolcs and nemano both gave advice to avoid getting scammed but both received warnings. I really don't get it and I don't think anyone does. Its one thing to understand the rules, but to understand staffs logic behind some of the warnings/ non warnings is nearly impossible when they let some people slide and punish others for the same thing.

Yz

just throwing in that the wording is bad on this rule. the rule isn't "No off topic" but it's "No posts that don't contribute to the report"
DISCORD killyzkill

Cooky

Quote from: Yz on August 22, 2013, 05:03:01 AM
just throwing in that the wording is bad on this rule.
agree 100% 

Purple

cba reading every post on this thread because I don't care about it much, but:

Technically, I was helpful by telling him that he should've bought from a verified seller.

At the end of the day though, I don't really care. As long as i'm not moderated I don't really have a reason to complain.

^**** im special xd

Cooky

Quote from: Purple on August 22, 2013, 05:23:59 AM
cba reading every post on this thread because I don't care about it much, but:

Technically, I was helpful by telling him that he should've bought from a verified seller.

At the end of the day though, I don't really care. As long as i'm not moderated I don't really have a reason to complain.

but u didn't help with the report. Did you submit more proof? Did you mention a previous time where the accused rulebreaker did the same thing to you? etc.  No you didn't, you gave your advice. Whether helpful or not, that doesn't help with the report at all.

the rule says you have to help with the report which means giving proof or more information about the report. that doesn't mean giving advice..  the staff will handle that if they feel its necessary.

I used to get in trouble all the time for posting advice in the rulebreaker section. I too thought I was 'helping' but in reality you aren't, you are just cluttering the thread that staff has to look through. I made a rule for myself that if I didn't see/hear about the accused rulebreaking, and I never had any similar experience with the accused rulebreaker before, I don't post. Plain and simple.

123bomb123

Quote from: KillerPig on August 22, 2013, 01:25:15 AM

8)

Just make it so only staff can post there and everyone can make topics. If a player want to add something they can PM a staff member, lol.
IGN: MisterZ

ZeaL - Rank 1 in antagonizing, just
because.

Rub me out like genies, won't concede til I'm graffiti
Quote from: Yz on January 14, 2012, 06:48:35 PM
mrz is like top 40 and would probly be like
"fuk yeh n00bs im god bow to god''

KillerPig

Quote from: Yz on August 22, 2013, 05:03:01 AM
just throwing in that the wording is bad on this rule. the rule isn't "No off topic" but it's "No posts that don't contribute to the report"
A lot of the rules are poorly worded but nobody listens to me :(
If that's the case, make posting on RaRB threads staff only.

Quote from: Cooky on August 22, 2013, 01:56:42 AM

I agree with this, I think it should have always been that way. If people have more proof they can PM it to a staff member. In every online game I play that has a forum.. the rulebreakers section is staff reply only. You would think the fact that practically no one who posts on rulebreaker reports ever really helps with the report and people are constantly getting warned/moderated over it would be enough for them to decide to make it staff only but I guess not. Maybe they cant or they don't know how?

No that's not exactly true. People post all the time to help but don't give any proof and get away with it somehow. I think staff should be a lot more consistent with it. Like the other day I think it was Oreos who posted saying some little piece of advice about how to avoid getting scammed and then said something to the effect of like 'staff will take care of it' and he didn't get any warning. But on the thread you linked us to in your post Pig, you can see szabolcs and nemano both gave advice to avoid getting scammed but both received warnings. I really don't get it and I don't think anyone does. Its one thing to understand the rules, but to understand staffs logic behind some of the warnings/ non warnings is nearly impossible when they let some people slide and punish others for the same thing.
It is true. The "people who post all the time to help" are the ones getting moderated as well. Although we think they aren't off topic, the staff (actually it's really just Selene) does so it's very frustrating.
The staff punish those who go off topic (which to them is anything that doesn't provide not evidence). So according to the staff, even those who are giving advice and etc. are breaking rules (and I agree they are very inconsistent in dealing with this but that's another thing I'd rather not get in to).

Quote from: 123bomb123 on August 22, 2013, 11:41:35 AM
Quote from: KillerPig on August 22, 2013, 01:25:15 AM

8)

Just make it so only staff can post there and everyone can make topics. If a player want to add something they can PM a staff member, lol.
Yes

Cooky

Quote from: 123bomb123 on August 22, 2013, 11:41:35 AM

Copyright © ZylonGaming 2009 - 2024
-Terms of Use-