May 09, 2024, 10:58:13 PMLatest Member: Wayken
BoutCheetah » Forum » Other » Off Topic » The difference between TRUTH and BELIEF.

The difference between TRUTH and BELIEF.

Started by Xrow, February 23, 2011, 01:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xrow

February 23, 2011, 01:10:55 AM Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:13:40 AM by Xrow
TRUTH: Definition:
(1) : the state of being the case : fact
(2) : the body of real things, events, and facts : actuality
(3) often capitalized : a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality

Fact or reality.
In other words, truth is not defined by human perception. It is FACT AND REALITY.

REALITY cannot vary per individual, and therefore TRUTH cannot either.

BELIEF: Definition:
(1) : a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing
(2) : something believed; especially : a tenet or body of tenets held by a group
(3) : conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence

Trust, tenets or conviction.
In other words, BELIEF is the CONVICTION of TRUTH.

TRUSTS or TENETS can vary per individual, and therefore BELIEF can as well.

TRUTH cannot vary, BELIEF can.
Please consider this before replying to it.

Optimism

February 23, 2011, 01:27:34 AM #1 Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:30:15 AM by Optimism
The amount of truth:

truth

The amount of belief:

beliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefbeliefx10^99

The amount of harm belief inflicts on humanity: innumerable harm through innumerable beliefs.

Therefore, why not select a belief that applies the progression of a universal moral code (if you inflict no harm, then proceed with your life unhindered)?

So, select a belief not for yourself, but for all of humanity.
- Opti -
- Sanctuary Founder | PvP King -
- Retired -

Xrow

Think about this, though (Discounting that a belief in evolution would make me unChristian and such):

Why can't our two sets of evidences point to the same creator?

Optimism

February 23, 2011, 01:31:47 AM #3 Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:32:05 AM by Optimism
Quote from: Xrow on February 23, 2011, 01:29:49 AM
Think about this, though (Discounting that a belief in evolution would make me unChristian and such):

It cannot, as a creator associated with any religion is impossible. Do you realize the extent of your creator's human ill-contempt? No god can have such qualities. A god, if it does exist, it cannot be this way. It simply isn't possible for me to be more god like than a god. If we are talking of your god, then I am more god like with regard to patience and love towards my fellow human beings.

Read my edit.
- Opti -
- Retired -

Xrow

February 23, 2011, 01:35:27 AM #4 Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:35:43 AM by Xrow
Quote from: Optimism on February 23, 2011, 01:31:47 AM

It cannot, as a creator associated with any religion is impossible. Do you realize the extent of your creator's human ill-contempt? No god can have such qualities. A god, if it does exist, it cannot be this way. It simply isn't possible for me to be more god like than a god. If we are talking of your god, then I am more god like with regard to patience and love towards my fellow human beings.

Read my edit.

You cannot say a creator in any form is impossible, merely improbable. (Sorry, language sucks - but we must be precise).

I doubt you are more patient. I don't mean to be rude, but just today you swore at me. Would my God ever swear at me?
And Opti, if my God exists and He is who He says He is, then morality is as He defines it, not as humans define it.

Optimism

February 23, 2011, 01:40:38 AM #5 Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:42:03 AM by Optimism
Quote from: Xrow on February 23, 2011, 01:35:27 AM
Quote from: Optimism on February 23, 2011, 01:31:47 AM

Read my edit.

You cannot say a creator in any form is impossible, merely improbable. (Sorry, language sucks - but we must be precise).

I doubt you are more patient. I don't mean to be rude, but just today you swore at me. Would my God ever swear at me?
And Opti, if my God exists and He is who He says He is, then morality is as He defines it, not as humans define it.

Kohlberg's 6th stage of Moral development. Given that your religion is 1 of probably 350,000 to ever exist, do you wish to throw someones life under the bus simply because you may be correct (the .0000000000000000000000000001 percent chance). I can throw this figure out, as there is no evidence your religion provides for validity that another has not in the past. Emotional connection is the only "validity" religion upholds as evidence, or any other for that matter. At this point, they are all equally invalid viewed objectively. So, why **** humanity for a belief that cannot be true, given the tenants of logical contradiction, paradox, etc.?
- Opti -
- Retired -

Xrow

This is where my logical nature crosses my religious nature, unfortunately.

I would like to simply say, "Well, why not just choose one and stick with it?" But this wishful thinking is intercepted by the reality that religions are mutually exclusive, and therefore they cannot all be true.

Which begs the question, "Which is the most reasonable?"

Well, to be sure, Christianity is one of the more reasonable religions of the world.
Compare it to terrorism-based religions, among others, for example.

There are countless aspects of countless religions to dissect and consider. Who can know?

Optimism

February 23, 2011, 02:00:23 AM #7 Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:01:17 AM by Optimism
Quote from: Xrow on February 23, 2011, 01:54:22 AM

I would like to simply say, "Well, why not just choose one and stick with it?" But this wishful thinking is intercepted by the reality that religions are mutually exclusive, and therefore they cannot all be true.

Well, to be sure, Christianity is one of the more reasonable religions of the world.

There are countless aspects of countless religions to dissect and consider. Who can know?

Logical fallacy: conclusion from ignorance. You've not dabbled in all religions equally; therefore, you are unable to make this claim. The sooner you come to terms with this, the sooner you will become an agnostic. Please, hurry.

You can't know. So stop being a ****ing ***** and choose your life's beliefs based on benefit of others and not yourself.

**** SON.
- Opti -
- Retired -

Lyric_

Quote from: Optimism on February 23, 2011, 02:00:23 AM
Quote from: Xrow on February 23, 2011, 01:54:22 AM

Logical fallacy: conclusion from ignorance. You've not dabbled in all religions equally; therefore, you are unable to make this claim. The sooner you come to terms with this, the sooner you will become an agnostic. Please, hurry.

You can't know. So stop being a ****ing ***** and choose your life's beliefs based on benefit of others and not yourself.

**** SON.

Did I ever tell you that I worship the ground you walk on?

Kidding not really

I'm not a player I just crush a lot.

Xrow

Can you really say, COMPLETELY OBJECTIVELY speaking, that Christianity is not one of the more reasonable beliefs of the world?

And is that why you decided to disbelieve Christianity? Because someone said you were being a ***** and told you to stop allowing a God that doesn't exist to control your life?

And Opti, Christianity is the single largest religion in the world. If the majority of religious followers (yes, I am counting atheism - even though it hurts my illustration) believe in a common morality.. Then should that not be the morality that everyone pursues? What makes yours right and Christianity's wrong?

Xrow

Quote from: Lyric_ on February 23, 2011, 02:08:53 AM
Did I ever tell you that I worship the ground you walk on?

Kidding not really

Do you believe that truth is relative or absolute? Why?

Optimism

Quote from: Xrow on February 23, 2011, 02:13:59 AM
Can you really say, COMPLETELY OBJECTIVELY speaking, that Christianity is not one of the more reasonable beliefs of the world?

And is that why you decided to disbelieve Christianity? Because someone said you were being a ***** and told you to stop allowing a God that doesn't exist to control your life?

And Opti, Christianity is the single largest religion in the world. If the majority of religious followers (yes, I am counting atheism - even though it hurts my illustration) believe in a common morality.. Then should that not be the morality that everyone pursues? What makes yours right and Christianity's wrong?

I stopped believing in Christianity simply because no religion can substantiate truth over the other. I objectively viewed all and honestly found no reason to continue believing in a single religion, as all religions are simply absurd. If evidence cannot be provided for something, I will not believe it to be true, thus, atheism. Atheism is the lack of belief in those ways of life who have yet to provide evidence (burden of proof). Faith is not evidence. Looking into the cosmos and not understanding how it all came to be and then say god did it is not evidence. I can discredit each without taking a second glance because of this.

Don't allow Logical Fallacy to pervade your thought process.
- Opti -
- Retired -

Xrow

February 23, 2011, 09:07:55 PM #12 Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:23:41 PM by Xrow
Quote from: Optimism on February 23, 2011, 11:51:41 AM

I stopped believing in Christianity simply because no religion can substantiate truth over the other. Technically not even atheism can substantiate its beliefs over any other religion. Nearly every "truth" humans know (or think they know) is based on induction. Without perfect induction (http://www.okstate.edu/ag/agedcm4h/academic/aged5980a/5980/Logic/LOGIC/sld012.htm), we can not know anything with absolute certainty. Therefore neither atheism nor any other religion can truthfully claim truth over another. I objectively viewed all and honestly found no reason to continue believing in a single religion, as all religions are simply absurd. Wait, wait wait. Your telling me you objectively viewed ALL religions? You yourself stated that there have been 350,000+ unique religions throughout history. How can you be philosophically certain that atheism substantiates truth over all religions? If evidence cannot be provided for something, I will not believe it to be true, thus, atheism. Atheism is the lack of belief in those ways of life who have yet to provide evidence (burden of proof). Faith is not evidence. I 100% agree! Do you have faith that there is no God? Now, do you have evidence? ;) Looking into the cosmos and not understanding how it all came to be and then say god did it is not evidence. I can discredit each without taking a second glance because of this. As if looking into the cosmos and saying, "I know, a magical explosion did it!" is any better?

Don't allow Logical Fallacy to pervade your thought process. You either, my friend.

If evidence cannot be provided for something, I will not believe it to be true, thus, atheism.

Opti, no evidence exists to support that God doesn't exist. This means you cannot believe atheism to be true..

GavinGill

Stop creating multiple topics if they're only extensions of a conversation being carried out in a pre-existing thread.

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is
done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."

koolwolf2

I stopped believing in Christianity simply because no religion can substantiate truth over the other. I objectively viewed all and honestly found no reason to continue believing in a single religion, as all religions are simply absurd. If evidence cannot be provided for something, I will not believe it to be true, thus, atheism. Atheism is the lack of belief in those ways of life who have yet to provide evidence (burden of proof). Faith is not evidence. Looking into the cosmos and not understanding how it all came to be and then say god did it is not evidence. I can discredit each without taking a second glance because of this.

Don't allow Logical Fallacy to pervade your thought process.

quite there is a prove that god exists lets say everything evolved from the same cell (a old belief a possible truth) then what created  that cell i doubt it was the big bang  and if so what caused the big bang you see if the universe is infinite means it continues forever which has to start from one point ex 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,etc what created the point doubt it created itself and every thing the very first electron didnt make it self did it? if so you have no proof but i do to make electrons u need something where would u find  the something it can be created what would create that thing its God with ability to create things 0,0
Newest one:

Copyright © ZylonGaming 2009 - 2024
-Terms of Use-