June 02, 2024, 11:26:53 AMLatest Member: MyzhPRbom
BoutCheetah » Forum » Other » Off Topic » BC Usage?

BC Usage?

Started by medchiller, November 09, 2013, 12:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

medchiller

So as many people know this past summer I went on a sailing course for 6 weeks. During this time I was without any form of internet. I will most likely be doing the same thing this summer but for 8 weeks, this year I want to be prepared so I thought I might get an internet stick/mobile hub so that I can still play and forum on BC. So what I need to know is about how many MB/s or MB/h so that I can see how much it would cost me to buy one and pay for it and if a plan would have enough to cover it. If anyone know's or can find it out that would be great! And please no "I don't think it will be a lot" answers. Thanks! :D

Thornz

November 09, 2013, 12:24:13 AM #1 Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:27:03 AM by Thornz
Quote from: medchiller on November 09, 2013, 12:16:03 AM
So as many people know this past summer I went on a sailing course for 6 weeks. During this time I was without any form of internet. I will most likely be doing the same thing this summer but for 8 weeks, this year I want to be prepared so I thought I might get an internet stick/mobile hub so that I can still play and forum on BC. So what I need to know is about how many MB/s or MB/h so that I can see how much it would cost me to buy one and pay for it and if a plan would have enough to cover it. If anyone know's or can find it out that would be great! And please no "I don't think it will be a lot" answers. Thanks! :D
I use a wifi AT&T AirCard, cause I live out in the boonies. It works decent enough actually (it's just my computer that sucks, not the Internet XD). Costs me $50 a month for 5GB total usage though, which kinda sucks. Plus, you need cell reception, and I have sailed before without gettin reception. Depends on your distance from the coast XP. Might wanna think of other alternatives...

Speeds are standard with AT&T aircards, so not much you can do to change it. Plenty fast enough though, and 5GBs more than covers the usage of BC. You won't be streaming any vids on it, however....

IGN: FM Thornz [Lv 270]
Quote from: cyc0828He destroy my guild
Not pants

medchiller

Quote from: Thornz on November 09, 2013, 12:24:13 AM
I use a wifi AT&T AirCard, cause I live out in the boonies. It works decent enough actually (it's just my computer that sucks, not the Internet XD). Costs me $50 a month for 5GB total usage though, which kinda sucks. Plus, you need cell reception, and I have sailed before without gettin reception. Depends on your distance from the coast XP. Might wanna think of other alternatives...
Naw I only go out for day sails then come back and stay on a military base. I want to know how many MB's I'll use so that I know if I will have enough GB's or I will go over the limit. Atm it's about $90 for 10 GB's and $105 for 15 GB's. I don't think I will go over but I kinda want to be sure. Thanks for the input ;)
Edit- The base I will be going to has 4g coverage aswell

Thornz

Quote from: medchiller on November 09, 2013, 12:29:19 AM
Quote from: Thornz on November 09, 2013, 12:24:13 AM
Naw I only go out for day sails then come back and stay on a military base. I want to know how many MB's I'll use so that I know if I will have enough GB's or I will go over the limit. Atm it's about $90 for 10 GB's and $105 for 15 GB's. I don't think I will go over but I kinda want to be sure. Thanks for the input ;)
Edit- The base I will be going to has 4g coverage aswell
I've notice that MMO's are about 100MB per hour or so. Idk. I have 5GB and I never ever go over unless I watch a ton of youtubes and stream a ton of music XD

4g is plenty fast. I don't think you'll notice speed issues for something like BC

Not pants

medchiller

Quote from: nanak tatum on November 09, 2013, 12:44:05 AM
You will only be gone for 8 weeks so nothing will probably happen in BC (nothing big/events). Not many updates happen and the ones that are happening are going to (hopefully) happen before the summer.
The complete opposite happened last summer >-<

-Speedy-

Quote from: medchiller on November 09, 2013, 12:49:26 AM
Quote from: nanak tatum on November 09, 2013, 12:44:05 AM
You will only be gone for 8 weeks so nothing will probably happen in BC (nothing big/events). Not many updates happen and the ones that are happening are going to (hopefully) happen before the summer.
The complete opposite happened last summer >-<
Well since time you will have already been staff and done July 4th event just like last year.

#1 *Sector Nub*
-Speedy-, Speedy II, Speedy III

medchiller

Quote from: -Speedy- on November 09, 2013, 12:50:54 AM
Well since time you will have already been staff and done July 4th event just like last year.
Wasn't talking about either of those and this year it will be 8 weeks causing me to miss the 4th of July. :-\

Thornz

Quote from: medchiller on November 09, 2013, 12:54:26 AM
Quote from: -Speedy- on November 09, 2013, 12:50:54 AM
Wasn't talking about either of those and this year it will be 8 weeks causing me to miss the 4th of July. :-\

If you're willing to pay the $50/mo, the AirCard would suit you just fine, I think....

Keep in mind that they'll want a contract, though :/

Not pants

medchiller

Quote from: Thornz on November 09, 2013, 12:56:17 AM
If you're willing to pay the $50/mo, the AirCard would suit you just fine, I think....

For $50 more I get 3x the amount of data but if I have enough with 5 GB's then it would be worth it. As I said before I just need to know the amount it uses per second/hour and then I will be able to see how many GB's I will need and what is the best price.

Thornz

Quote from: medchiller on November 09, 2013, 01:01:20 AM
Quote from: Thornz on November 09, 2013, 12:56:17 AM

For $50 more I get 3x the amount of data but if I have enough with 5 GB's then it would be worth it. As I said before I just need to know the amount it uses per second/hour and then I will be able to see how many GB's I will need and what is the best price.
I'll try and clock how much BC uses tonight....

If you go over the 5GB it's only $10 peer extra Gb, btw...

Not pants

medchiller

Thornz

Quote from: medchiller on November 09, 2013, 01:03:03 AM
Quote from: Thornz on November 09, 2013, 01:02:35 AM
I'll try and clock how much BC uses tonight....
Thanks! :D

Idk if this is accurate, but it says I used less than 100MB for 2 hours of BC.

5GB should be all you need ;)

Not pants

medchiller

Thanks but if I calculated correct then dunno about the 5GB's:
100MB's/2h=50MB's/h
50MB's x 4h (time I can play while gone) =200MB's/day
I'm gone for about 56 days so 56 x 200=11200MB's the whole time I'm there
1 GB = 1024 MB's so 11200 / 1024=10.9 GB's
Yes I know I won't play every day but I may also check FB, forums etc.

Madprox

Playing the game will require more mbps than just using the site (obviously)
^i don't know how much but keep that in mind.

Here in Belgium, there are a lot of variations on such usb/internet sticks, to grant you access to the internet wherever you are (garden, train, bus, hotel)
However, they don't come in 2GB, or 5GB, or 10GB..

They provide you endless GB, and you pay the bill for as many GB you have used in that month.
Idk, if you have that option, but that might be a good alternative. (You basically pay for what you use only)

IGN: GM Max | Level: 270 | Guild: Utopia

Thornz

Quote from: medchiller on November 09, 2013, 04:18:35 PM
Thanks but if I calculated correct then dunno about the 5GB's:
100MB's/2h=50MB's/h
50MB's x 4h (time I can play while gone) =200MB's/day
I'm gone for about 56 days so 56 x 200=11200MB's the whole time I'm there
1 GB = 1024 MB's so 11200 / 1024=10.9 GB's
Yes I know I won't play every day but I may also check FB, forums etc.
You forgot that its 5GB per MONTH. So you'd have 10GBs in two months. Overage is $10 a GB

Basically you're paying $10/GB with a $50 minimum per month...

Not pants

Copyright © ZylonGaming 2009 - 2024
-Terms of Use-